The Maintenance Mechanic/Mechanic is responsible to perform maintenance and repairs to mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and equipment for one or more properties. The Maintenance Mechanic will receive general supervision from the Chief Engineer or other designated authority. The work involves lifting heavy mechanical equipment and apparatus and may be performed in areas of extreme heat and cold.
- Assists with the operation, maintenance and repair of all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety systems and other equipment in assigned properties
- Performs preventive and reactive equipment maintenance as required by Company standards and manufacturers' specifications and documents actions/measures with the service request system
- Quickly responds to and resolves tenant and property management service requests and documents actions with the service request system
- Performs general building maintenance and repairs, including re-lamping, plumbing, locksmithing, and painting equipment, mechanical, related spaces and other minor spot and touch-ups as needed
- Conducts periodic inspections of mechanical, common and vacant spaces and appurtenances; maintains these areas in a clean, operational, orderly, and safe condition
- Responds to alarms and incidents of any nature, provides assistance when needed, and identifies recurring issues for follow up and correction
- Attends and participates in Toolbox Meetings and assists with the training and mentoring of colleagues and new employees
- Responsible for complying with and enforcing policies from the Employee Manual, Operations Manual, safety guidelines, and accepted Company practices
- Performs other duties and completes special projects as assigned; and carries out all tasks assigned by managers and supervisors in an efficient and timely manner
- This position requires a regular, scheduled work shift set by the supervisor
- Carry and utilize Company issued communication devices for emergency response and daily communication
- As essential building personnel the responsibilities of this position occasionally require overtime, weekend and holiday work on a scheduled, short-notice or emergency basis
QualificationsEducation, Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required
- Specific licensure in a building-related trade is desired, but not required
- Certification as a CFC Universal Technician from an US EPA-approved program is preferred
- Building Owners & Management Institute International's (BOMI) or Systems Maintenance Technician (SMT) or higher designation is preferred
- General Facility Operations/Maintenance/Repair Experience: Three or more years of experience within the disciplines of plumbing, electrical, fire protection, other mechanical systems and/or general building/facilities maintenance
- Experience processing service requests and/or preventive maintenance requests with a computerized maintenance management system is preferred
- General knowledge of safe work practices & OSHA regulations, OSHA 10 training is preferred
- General capability with the operation of a PC and mobile communication devices, including Internet browsers
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and within a team environment, proactively contributes ideas to improve operations
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills, able to effectively articulate instructions and directions to others and perform intermediate arithmetic calculations
- Provide an effective means for contact after normal working hours and be able to respond to urgent building issues
- Exercises good judgment, uses discretion, and quickly follows through and follows up with a keen attention to detail to resolve issues
- Self-directed, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and possesses a strong desire and ability to learn and understand
- Must be reliable, punctual, dependable with excellent attendance, and have schedule flexibility to respond to callbacks and work overtime as required to meet business needs
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is subject to extremes of temperature while working in mechanical rooms or with outdoors. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, high voltage electricity with risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extremes of outdoor weather conditions and temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and occasionally requires the use of hearing protection equipment.JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.
Associated topics: business, director, housing property, manage, manager iv, manager facilities, senior care, supervise, supervisor, supervisory